[Received in an email from the Basics Bus Tour Pilot Project, L.A.]
BAsics Bus Tour Underway!
"Let's Go!" was the spirit of the first hours of the BAsics
Bus Tour two-week pilot project. It launched with great fanfare in Los
Angeles on Tuesday (see below), was in Riverside Wed. and Thurs. this
week, and today is in Orange County. See next stops below.
Where the tour is going today and this weekend: Join in and send others!
* The BAsics Bus Tour in the OC (Orange County)! (Fri., Sat. and Sun., Feb. 10-12) in Fullerton, Santa Ana and Anaheim; then they will head up north [click here for schedule after Orange County].
FRIDAY, Feb. 10th, Fullerton and Anaheim
* Fullerton State University, 10 to 2 pm - the bus will be right in the middle of campus, next to the student union!
* Unitarian Universalist Church, 6:30 pm, in Anaheim, "Potlucks for Progressives" is hosting a potluck dinner for the BAsics
Bus Tour, called "A Better World is Possible." 511 South Harbor Blvd., Anaheim, CA 92805. Potluck at 6:45 pm; program at 7:15 pm. Come and
share your ideas for a better world.
SATURDAY, Feb. 11th, Santa Ana
* Soccer fields at Centennial Park, early morning in Santa Ana
* Anti-Mall event, 11 am to 3 pm, look for the BAsics Tour bus at this "People B4 Profit Marketplace" at El Centro Cultural de Mexico, 313 N. Birch Street Santa Ana.
* Librería Martinez, 4 to 6 pm, spanish reading / discussion of Lo BAsico / BAsics with the BAsics Bus Tour riders, 216 N. Broadway (one door away from Subway on the corner), in downtown Santa Ana.
* Mariachi Vargas de Tetalitlan,
at The City National Grove of Anaheim, internationally acclaimed as the
"best mariachis in the world." The performance begins at 8 pm. Look
for the BAsics Bus Tour as the crowds leave from 9:30 to 10:30 pm, 2200 East Katella Avenue in Anaheim.
First stop: early morning, Tues., Feb. 7th,7th & Alvarado. "We stayed for a couple hours, talked with a lot of people, mainly
immigrants from Mexico and Central America, and sold some copies of Lo BAsico and BAsics. A woman who bought Lo BAsico remarked that the Bus 'stopped me in my tracks!'"
Next was the launch celebration (with pizza), Tues., Feb. 7th, noon -
Books L.A. "Statements from various people voiced support for the Tour
and, from different points of view, what they thought was important
the afternoon we went to Watts. Soon a very boisterous group of Black
high school youth came up and mulitiple conversations and debates broke
out as people clustered around the displays. One youth, after firing a
series of hard questions at the revolutionaries remarked to his
friends, 'This is interesting, these people are serious.'"
was a good day, the light rain that fell from time to time
dampen our spirits. It was a good start. We felt we
learned a lot.
* Send an email to the tour coordinator at BAeverywhere_LA1@yahoo.com
to volunteer to help organize a support or host committee to share
ideas on the best places the bus can go in your area, or just to find
out how you can be there when it comes to town.
plans with friends to print up dozens or more of your
quotes and plaster them in the area before the
tour rolls into your
town or campus, or find appropriate places to
hang a banner or put up a
to a neighborhood coffee shop or recreation center and
set up a time
and place for the bus riders to meet with people
who got BAsics and want
to explore these ideas more fully.
* Donate funds to make all this happen-and go to others to get
them to contribute as well.
everywhere can-and should-contribute to the success
of this tour.
Organize fundraisers and send the money to the address
reports to Revolution newspaper. (See
Go to revcom.us and look for frequent reports on what the bus riders
are experiencing and learning.
who want to be a part of the tour, to learn more, or to provide much
needed funds for this historic beginning to a national "BA Everywhere"
Bus Tour should contact the Los Angeles tour coordinator at BAeverywhere_LA1@yahoo.com. Donations for the tour should be sent to:
Revolution Books 5726 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90028 323-463-3500
Make checks out to Revolution Books; be sure to write
"BAsics Bus Tour" in the subject line to earmark it for
Donate online by clicking the PayPal button "Donate to the
Bus Tour" at the top, right-hand corner of